Farr Pump Plant

The Farr Pump Plant lifts water from Lake Granby to Shadow Mountain Reservoir via the Granby Pump Canal. The plant contains three pumps and three 6,000-horsepower motors.

The Farr Pump Plant's reinforced concrete building is 187 feet tall, but nearly 140 feet of it are underground. The building’s base slab is made of 3,100 yards of reinforced concrete and is nearly 9 feet thick.

Farr Pump Plant
Farr Pump Plant

Power for the plant is generated by passing Colorado-Big Thompson Project water through the Estes Power Plant turbines on the East Slope, and from Blue River water passing through turbines at the Green Mountain Power Plant on the West Slope.

Power from the Estes Power Plant is delivered to the Farr Pump Plant via an electrical transmission line that runs through the Adams Tunnel beneath the Continental Divide.

First Water Pumped in 1951Construction on the Farr Pump Plant, initially known as the Granby Pump Plant, began April 6, 1947. The plant was dedicated and the first water pumped on July 20, 1951. The plant cost $8.1 million to build.

The plant was renamed on June 18, 1994, to honor the Farr family of Weld County for its contributions to natural resource conservation, water development and agricultural innovations in Colorado.